You’re conscious of what you eat, spending money on organic food when you can, or perhaps you’ve gone paleo or vegan. You’re ditching the plastics and buying green cleaning products. But have you thought about what you put on your skin?
I’ve been interested in safer skincare for years. When I learned that the personal care industry is nearly unregulated, when I learned that many of the ingredients in our products are not known to be safe, or are even known to be unsafe, when I learned that terms like ‘all natural’ really don’t mean a thing, I decided to try a safer route.
When I first started, I was all about the DIY. I made my own oil mixes to wash my face. And lost a few shirts to coconut oil incidents. I followed a shampooing method called No ‘Poo that involved a lot of baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and time.
Then I had a baby. And started a business. I’m pretty sure I didn’t wash my face for six months, let alone mix up any new oil concoctions. I looked in the mirror one day, and knew it was past time to implement a little self care. But I needed a company that could do the heavy lifting of making safe products for me. I tested many products from many companies, and I just kept coming back to Beautycounter.
I’m excited to finally be sharing it with you.
There are many safer skincare and cosmetics companies out there. Why did I choose Beautycounter?
- The Products. It’s not easy creating high performing products that are also safer products. Performance is non-negotiable for me, and Beautycounter hits it out of the park. Our products perform and are as indulgent as any other luxe shampoo, lipstick, or oil in the market.
- The Never List. Beautycounter never selects from over 1,500 ingredients that are allowed in the cosmetics industry, but are questionable, potentially harmful, or even known to be harmful. These products are banned intentionally, and the ingredients we use are screened rigorously for safety and always disclosed. Transparency is not optional.
- The Mission. Beautycounter is more than a skincare and cosmetics company. Our mission is to get safer products into the hands of everyone. We all deserve better and Beautycounter is doing something about it by letting our lawmakers know it’s time to make safe skincare a priority. I look forward to the day when products at every price point, purchased in any store, are safe.
To learn more about Why Beautycounter, I invite you to watch this short video:
My Mission with Beautycounter
- To Educate. By joining Beautycounter, I aim to reach more women (and men!) with the message of safer skincare and better beauty. Whether one chooses to use Beautycounter products, find alternative safer products, or try DIY, I want everyone to be armed with the information they need to make better decisions for their family.
- To Give Back. I have made the decision to always donate 5% of my total sales. 5% of any Beautycounter purchase you make through me, either directly or through a party hosted by a friend, will be donated to charity. In 2016, I donated 5% of all purchases to breast cancer prevention — it’s time to change the conversation from awareness to prevention. In 2017, 5% of all purchases will be donated to Healthy Child Healthy World, an organization that empowers parents by sharing practical, credible information around creating safer environments for children. Because our kids deserve it.
What Beautycounter Can Offer YOU
Beautycounter offers you a safer, less toxic option for your skincare and cosmetic needs. We take the best of what nature offers, combined with limited, safe synthetic ingredients, to create products that perform like any other luxe products in the market.
Through our partnership with the Environmental Working Group, you can be sure that every product you purchase and use on yourself or your family avoids the EWG’s list of ingredients with concerns, is transparent, and was produced following quality manufacturing practices.
Whether you are looking to revamp your skincare routine, purchase safe cosmetics, enjoy non-toxic bath goodies, or ensure the products you use on your baby or child won’t harm them, we have you covered, safely and with quality.
Five Ways to Get Involved
There is a way for everyone to get involved in the movement for safer beauty.
1. Spread the Word
Spread the word about safer skincare by talking about companies that are making the industry a safer place. Introduce friends and family to the EWG’s Skin Deep database. Share your experiences with better beauty.
2. Become a Customer
Consumer spending will be what changes the industry. Put your dollars to work by supporting companies who are working towards change.
3. Become a Member
Become a ‘Band of Beauty’ member and earn:
- Free shipping on orders over $100
- 15% product credit on all purchases (to be used within 60 days)
- A free gift upon enrollment
- Exclusive access to special offers
4. Host a Social
Want to spread the safer beauty word to friends in a fun, non-stress environment? Get a few of your friends together (2 is great, so is 10) and we can talk about the skincare industry and play with products. The only rule is to keep it simple!
If you live outside of the greater Seattle area, we can talk about an online social, which is just as fun, minus the drinking wine together.
And of course, you are rewarded for your efforts with discounted and free products.
(Leave me a few details like where you’re located and I’ll get back to you shortly!)
5. Join the Movement
Feel passionate about the mission and want to spread the word? Join Beautycounter and be a part of the change from the inside.
Join as a consultant and save on your own orders while having the opportunity to earn additional income by educating others about the skin care industry and how to make safer choices.
(Enter your email and other required info to create your account. When it asks you to choose a mentor, enter Beth Martin in the first and last name section. I’m in Seattle, WA.)
Curious to learn more? Feel free to send me a note using my Contact page.
Better Beauty News
I'm a believer that we shouldn't have to compromise our health in the name of beauty. Or performance in the name of safety. With Beautycounter, you can have both.